History of Kabuli Naan:
This dish is one of the famous foods of Afghanistan. It is served in a special style called “Oriental cuisine”. The city of Kabul has its own version of this famous food. In this article you will learn few things about this dish. This dish is originated from the capital city of the Afghanistan. It is known as Makhani in the native languages. It is prepared with milk and butter. When it is made, it is cooked in a clay pot in a way that it is not burned. In the early days, when this dish was first introduced to the world, it was mainly used by the lower class people in the city to earn their money. Later on, it was brought by the British after the partition of the country.
Culture of Kabuli Naan:
There are various ethnic groups of Afghanistan. Therefore, there are different ways in which this famous dish is prepared. In the early days, this cuisine originated from the Pashtun tribe. However, as the time passed by, it was brought to the city of Kundar by the British. Today, it is mostly eaten by the lower class people in the city. This is also considered as their national dish.
This famous food is low in calories. In fact, it has less calories than 2 teaspoons of butter. Therefore, you can see that it is one of the best foods for losing weight in Afghanistan. However, if you do not like to cook and you cannot make it at home, you can buy it from the market and prepare it there. However, it is important to know the calories content in the food before purchasing.
Our recipe to make Kabuli naan
Ingredients for Kabuli Naan :
* White flour (Maida) – 1/2 Kg
* Yeast (Khameer)- 1 teaspoon
* Nigella seed (Kalaunji) – 1 teaspoon
* Curd (yogurt) – 1/2 cup
* Butter – 2 tablesoon
* Sugar – 1 teaspoon
* Warm water – 3/4 cup
* Butter – 2 tablespoon
* Salt to taste
* Almonds (Badam) – 1/4 cup ground
* Cashews (Kaju) – 1/4 cup ground
* Raisins (Kishmish) – 1/4 cup chopped
* Sugar (Chini) – 1 teaspoon
* Powdered milk – 1 tablespoon
Method for Kabuli Naan :
* Dissolve sugar and yeast in warm water and keep aside for 10 minutes.
* Sift flour , salt and add nigella seeds ,then add yoghurt, ghee and yeast mixture.
* Knead well until it forms a smooth dough and coat it with little oil .
* Cover with damp tea-towel or cloth and keep aside to ferment for 2-3 hours.
* When the dough is doubled in size, knead it again and divide into around 8 equal portions.
* Flatten and put one teaspoon of the stuffing in the center,close the edges and roll into pear shape.
* Garnish with some more almonds, cashewnuts and raisins .
* Preheat oven to 450 degrees F and bake all the naans for 10 mins.
* Brush with butter and enjoy with vegetable curries or any kind of meat preparation.
* Enjoy kabuli naan with any vegetable curry or any meat preparation.