Food Recipe Home Vegetarian Recipes Gujarati Recipes Undhiyu
|Vegetarian Recipes – Gujarati Recipes
Undhiyu has about 300 calories for a 100 gram serving of which 70 come from fat and 25 from protein. It’s also very high in fibre and is a great source of vitamins like vitamin A, B-6, C, iron, zinc and calcium.
- Potatoes (Aloo) – 1/2 Kg
- Broad beans (Sem fali) – 1/2 Kg
- Raw bananas (Kacchhe kele) – 2 no’s
- Yam (Kand) – 100 gms
- Baby brinjals (Chote baigun) – 3 no’s
- Ginger (Adrak) – 2 inch piece
- Garlic (Lehsun) – 4 cloves
- Green chillies (Hari mirch) – 3 no’s
- Turmeric powder (Haldi) – 1 teaspoon
- Oil (Tel) – 1/4 cup
- Coconut (Nariayal) – 2 tablespoon scraped
- Asafoetida (Hing) – A pinch
- Coriander leaves (Dhaniya patte) – A bunch chopped
- Mustard seeds (Rai) – 1 teaspoon
- Bengal Gram Flour (besan) – 1/4 cup
- Fenugreek Leaves (Methi)
- Ginger (Adrak) – 1/2 inch piece
- Green Chillies (Hari mirch) – 2 no’s
- Oil to deep fry
- Salt to taste
- Dice potatoes, yam, raw bananas and split brinjals into four without cutting the stem.
- Make a paste of garlic, green chillies and ginger and mix cut coriander, mix all the muthiya ingredients except oil and prepare a firm dough.
- Divide the dough into small portions and shape each into one-inch long half-inch thick rolls, and deep fry in hot oil, remove and keep aside.
- String beans and cut into one-inch long pieces, now heat oil in a pan, add in asafoetida and mustard seeds, when mustard seeds crackle mix in ground masala and beans.
- Put the rest of the vegetables in layers one on top of the other, sprinkle salt and turmeric powder, stir fry for five minutes on high flame.
- Pour a cup of water, cover and simmer on a very low heat for 10-15 minutes, add fried muthiyas and again simmer for 15 minutes shaking occasionally without spoon.
- Enjoy hot undhiyo decorated with scraped coconut with parathas.